Georgi Karavelov School, a history

Old School Building

In 1860, the first school opened in Shivachevo on the grounds of St. Dimitarís Church. It was a humble beginning - the school consisted of a 5m long, 4m wide and 2m tall room on the grounds of the church. The first instructor was a man named Daskal Hristo from the nearby village of Drenta. In 1930, a cooperative building was completed with rooms designed for a shop, a cultural hall with a stage, a library and administrative offices. Four classes were held in the new building, but it was not enough for the increasing number of students. Construction of a new school building began in 1931. It was completed in 1934 and served all students in the village. In the autumn of 1944, the name of the school was changed to honor Georgi Aleksiev Karavelov, a local teacher and school director who had been killed in a field just outside of town by Bulgarian Fascists in the 1920s. A new three-story structure was finished in 1980, thus forming a school complex with two school buildings, a gymnasium and workshops for training students in wood-working and metal-working skills.

Georgi Karavelov School, in pictures

115
115
119
119
120
120
1212
1212
123
123
124
124
125
125
126
126
127
127
128
128
Georgi Karavelov (center)
Georgi Karavelov (center)
Georgi Karavelov (left)
Georgi Karavelov (left)
Grave of the first teacher in Shivachevo
Grave of the first teacher in Shivachevo
New school building
New school building
Students at Rila Monastery
Students at Rila Monastery
Students in class
Students in class
Students
Students
Created using LightBox Web Gallery Generator